- 2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5-6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Cut asparagus stalks off and the spears into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy pot over low heat, stirring until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, for about 15-20 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to blend soup until smooth. Stir in creème fraîche (for a more thin soup, add more broth). Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon of butter.